Evidence and Expert Testimony
Will Yancey, PhD, CPA
Office phone 734.744.4400
Contents of this page:
Related pages at this Web site:
Services: Dr. Yancey provides litigation
support and other consulting services.
Disclaimer: Inclusion on this list does NOT imply the
cited work is or was a good authority. This list is NOT an exhaustive
list of the relevant literature and Web sites.
Maintained by ACLR.
Please e-mail your suggestions for additions and changes to email@example.com.
Articles, Treatises, and Websites about Evidence and Expert Testimony
- Adrogue, Sofia, and Alan Ratliff, "Kicking the Tires After Kumho: The
Bottom Line on Admitting Financial Expert Testimony", 37 Houston Law Review 431 (2000).
- Brent , Robert L., "Bring Scholarship To The Courtroom: Examining The Daubert Decision," 12 The Scientist 11, (December
- Bursztajn, Harold J., Linda Stout Saunders, and Archie Brodsky,
"National Certification for Forensic Psychiatrists: A Preview of the
Post-Daubert Expert," Journal of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys - "Ask the Expert",
- Clifford, Robert C., Qualifying & Attacking Expert Witnesses, (Santa Ana, CA: James Publishing, 1996).
- DaubertExpert.com ...Stephen Mahle
- Daubert On the Web ...Peter Nordberg
- Daubert Tracker ...MDEX Online, Inc.
- Faigman, D. L., "The evidentiary status of social science under Daubert: Is it "scientific," "technical," or "other" knowledge," 1 Psychology,
Public Policy, and Law 960 (1995).
- Federal Judicial Center, Manual for Complex Litigation, Fourth, (Federal Judicial Center, 2004),
- Manual section 21.48. Disclosure and Discovery of Expert Opinions
- Manual section 21.493 Sampling/Opinion Surveys
- Federal Judicial Center, Reference Manual on Scientific Evidence, 1st ed., (Federal Judicial Center, 1994),
- Federal Judicial Center, Reference Manual on Scientific Evidence, 2nd ed., (Federal Judicial Center, 2000),
- Each section is downloadable as a PDF file from the Federal Judicial Center's web site.
- The Supreme Court's Trilogy on the Admissibility of Expert Evidence, Margaret A. Berger (163 K)
- Management of Expert Evidence, William W Schwarzer & Joe S. Cecil (163 K)
- How Science Works, David Goodstein (98 K)
- Reference Guide on Statistics, David H. Kaye & David A. Freedman (455 K)
- Reference Guide on Multiple Regression, Daniel L. Rubinfeld (260 K)
- Reference Guide on Survey Research, Shari Seidman Diamond (228 K)
- Reference Guide on Estimation of Economic Losses in Damages Awards, Robert E. Hall & Victoria A. Lazear (228 K)
- Reference Guide on Epidemiology, Michael D. Green, D. Mical Freedman & Leon Gordis (260 K)
- Reference Guide on Toxicology, Bernard D. Goldstein & Mary Sue Henifin (195 K)
- Reference Guide on Medical Testimony, Mary Sue Henifin, Howard M. Kipen & Susan R. Poulter (228 K)
- Reference Guide on DNA Evidence, David H. Kaye & George F. Sensabaugh, Jr. (423 K)
- Reference Guide on Engineering Practices and Methods, Henry Petroski (228 K)
- Index (98 K)
- Field, Thomas G., and Colleen M. Keegan, "Daubert's Significance," 4 Risk: Health, Safety and Environment,
(Fall 1993), http://law.unh.edu/risk/profrisk.htm#
- Forensic Panel Letter, www.forensicpanel.com
- Friedman Jack P., and Roman Weil, Litigation Support Report Writing: Accounting, Finance, and Economic Issues,
- Imwinkelried, Edward J., Methods of Attacking Scientific Evidence, 3rd edition, (Lexis Law
- Imwinkelried, Edward J., and Paul C. Giannelli, Scientific
Evidence, 3rd edition, (Lexis Law Publishing, 1999), 2 volumes.
- Ladd, "Expert Testimony," 5 Vanderbilt Law Review 414 (1952).
- Lieb, Mark, and Browning Marean, III, Litigation Support Technical Standards,
- LitiLaw Legal Research ...free collection of articles for attorneys and expert witnesses
- Mahle, Stephen, Daubert and the Law and Science of Expert
Testimony in Business Litigation, www.daubertexpert.com
- Martin, Michael M., Basic Problems of Evidence, 6th Edition,
(Philadephia: ALI-ABA, 1988), ordering information at www.ali-aba.org/aliaba/cclit.htm
- Mealey's Daubert Report: reviewing the law and admissibility
of expert witness testimony, www.mealeys.com
- Milloy, Steven J., Science
Without Sense: The Risky Business of Public Health Research, (Cato Institute, 1995), www.junkscience.com/sws.html
- Nordberg, Peter, Daubert on the Web, www.daubertontheweb.com
- Practitioners Publishing Company, Guide to Litigation
Support Services, 3 volumes, (revised May 2000).
- Tager, Evan M., Alan E. Untereiner, and Eilenn Penner,"Bad Faith
Experts After Kumho", Mayer Brown &
- Twining, William, Rethinking Evidence, (Blackwell, 1990).
- Uglow, Steve, Law of Evidence, www.kent.ac.uk/law/research/profiles/uglow.html
- University of California, Irvine, Department of Criminology, Law & Society, Scientific
Testimony [online journal], www.scientific.org
- Watts, Mikal C., "Daubert, Robinson and Khumho Tire: What's the Rule Now in Texas?",
- Weil, Roman L., Michael J. Wagner, Christian W. Hughes, and Peter B. Frank, editors,
Litigation Services Handbook: The Role of the Financial Expert, 4th Edition, (Wiley, 2006, with annual supplements).
- Bogosian v. Gulf Oil Corp., 738 F.2d 587, (3rd. Cir.
- Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals, 509 U.S. 579,
S. Ct. 2786, laws.findlaw.com/us/509/579.html
(US Supreme Court, June 29, 1993).
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Inc. v. C. R. Robinson,
923 SW 2d 549, (Texas Supreme Court, 1995, rehearing overruled, 1996).
- General Electric v. Joiner, 522 U.S. 141, laws.findlaw.com/us/000/96-188.html
(US Supreme Court, December 15, 1997).
- Holland v. US, 348 U.S.
(US Supreme Court, December 6, 1954).
- Kumho Tire Company, Ltd. v. Patrick Carmichael, 526 U.
137, 119 S. Ct. 1167, laws.findlaw.com/us/526/137.html
(US Supreme Court, March 23, 1999).
There are many books, articles, and websites on deposition preparation.
are selected links and citations.
- Babitsky, Steven, and James J. Mangraviti, Jr., Cross-Examination:
The Comprehensive Guide For Experts,
- Babitsky, Steven, and James J. Mangraviti, Jr., How to Excel
Techniques For Experts That Work,
- Babitsky, Steven, and James J. Mangraviti, Jr., Writing and Defending Your Expert Report,
- Brodsky, Stanley L., The Expert Expert Witness,
(American Psychological Association, 1999).
- Hamilton, Rosalie, The Expert
Witness Marketing Book, (Expert Communications, 2003),
- Johnson, Larry G., The Deposition Guide: A Practical Handbook
for Witnesses, (Law Forum Press, 2001), http://www.eskimo.com/~larrygj/
- Lathan, Virginia A., The Deposition Handbook, (Curry-Co
- Merenbach, Dennis G., and Anthony Stephens, How to Be an
Expert Witness, (Fithian Press, 1993).
- Poynter, Dan, The Expert Witness Handbook, (Para
- Smith, Fred Chris, and Rebecca Gurley Bace, A Guide to
Testimony: The Art and Practice of Presenting Testimony As An Expert
Witness, (Addison Wesley Professional, 2002).
Rules of Evidence
Federal Rules of Evidence
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure